Tuesday, August 18, 2009

GMO - Think Before You Eat!

Yesterday I read an article in FoodNavigator-USA.com about how Monsanto is "on the verge of a technology explosion." The article documents how Monsanto is expected to double yields in corn, soybeans and cotton by the year 2030. Ask yourself how do they plan to do this while farming in the same fields, in the same soil, and on the same size acreage. The answer is one they don't hide behind.

Through the use of biotechnology, the scientists (I don't know if we should venture to call them farmers or agronomist) at Monsanto are genetically creating super seeds for these crops. These seeds will be more drought resistant, pest resistant, pesticide resistant, higher yielding and better at utilizing the nitrogen from the soil. This will yield crop yields by the year 2030 that are twice the size as those from the same fields today. But at what cost??

There is no science that yet establishes the safety of the human consumption of GMO foods. I mean isn't it logical that if we eat large quantities of foods that are resistant to some pesticides through genetic altering, then there will be some affect on the human body at some level?? I would think so but I am admittedly not a scientist. I would like to hear from a group of scientists that are not employed by the industry tell me that eating such foods are safe, and to show me their evidence of that at the same time. I don't think that is asking too much.

What are your thoughts??

Stevia Wizard

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree, and don't like the fact that companies like Monsanto are slowly taking away the buying public's choices of what they can eat. The fact that we are being forced to accept so-called fresh food products that have been clearly genetically modified is scary to me! No wonder there is a rise in autoimmune disorders and such. Most people aren't even aware of what they are eating. They assume that what they are buying is safe - NOT THE CASE! Thank you for sharing information like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw one of their commercials during the evening newscast. I don't recall the exact wording, but I recall hearing them say something about Round-up in the ad -- the weed killer! I heard they are trying to make crops resistant to Round-up. Would you want to eat food that had been sprayed with Round-up??? I like the product for use on thistles, but not on my food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely correct. The crops engineered to be resistant to Round-Up even have their own Trademarked name....these crops/seeds are known as "Rouind-Up Ready." That means we, as consumers, eat Round-Up Ready corn, soybeans, and other foods (which use the treated foods as ingredients) unknowingly. And do you know why??

    BECAUSE THERE IS NO LAW THAT REQUIRES FOOD MANUFACTURERS AND PRODUCERS TO INDICATE WHETHER OR NOT THE INGREDIENT(S) ARE GMO. As consumers, don't you think we have a right to know this???

    Steve (aka Stevia Wizard)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a link to their site for more information about Round-Up Ready crops: http://www.monsanto.com/products/genuity.asp

    ReplyDelete